VD4/S type indoor vacuum circuit breaker - Rockwill brand
The VD4/S type indoor vacuum circuit-breakers is for lateral type installation in air-insulated switchgear systems. like Unisec, Uniswitch, SM6 or HXGN type switchgear.
It can be expanded to VD4/R type which is equiped with CT and replay protector.
The rating of VD4/s,VD4/R family member is from 3.3kV,200A up to 36kV,...1250A,25kA,...
||1min Power frequency withstand voltage
||Lighting impulse withstandvoltage
||Rated short circuit breaking current (peak)
||Rated short breaking current
||Rated short circuit making current (peak)
||Cable charge breaking current in earthing fault
||Rated withstand current (peak)
||Short time withstand current (4s)
||Mechanism life times
||Rate of rise of transient recovery voltage
||Peak of transient recovery voltage
1.1 Guideline values for function times:
||Closing time approx
||opening time approx
||less than 45ms
||Arcing time (at 50Hz) ms
||Less than 15ms
||Less than 60ms
||Time on closing
||20ms(1) (120ms(2)) 35ms(1) (70ms(2))
||time on opening
||20ms(1) (80ms(2)) 20ms(1) (50ms(2))
1) At the rated supply voltage.
2) If the activating relay contact cannot itself interrupt the release coil current.
1.2 Releases and blocking magnet
||Shunt release OFF
||Shunt release ON
1) Approximate values
2) With short-circuited intermediate current transformer
3) Rated supply voltages AC: 110 and 220 V, DC: 24, 48, 60, 110 and 220 V.
1.3 Motor-operated mechanisms
The vacuum circuit-breakers of type VD4/S are intended for indoor installation in air-insulatedswitchgear systems. They have a switching capacity capable of handling the loads occurring atstart-up and shutdown of equipment and plant units both in normal and in fault state.Vacuum circuit-breakers have particular advantages for use in networks where there is a highswitching frequency in the working current range and/or where a certain number of short-circuitbreaking operations are expected. Type VD4/S vacuum circuit-breakers are suitable forautoreclosing, and have exceptionally high operating reliability and long life.The vacuum circuit-breakers of type VD4/S, designed in column form, can be supplied both asindividual units for switchgear Type SM6, Uniswitch, HXGN, etc.
1.2 Standards and specifications
1.2.1 Switchgear manufacture
The switchgear complies with the following specifications in accordance with DIN,VDE and therelevant IEC publications:
• VDE 0670, part 1000 and IEC 60694
• VDE 0671, part 100, and IEC 62271-100.
1.2.2 Installation and operation The relevant specifications are to be taken into account duringinstallation and operation, particularly:
• DIN VDE 0101, Power installations exceeding AC 1 kV
• VDE 0105, Operation of electrical installations
• DIN VDE 0141, Earthing systems for special power installations with rated voltages above 1 kV
• Accident prevention regulations issued by the appropriate professional bodies or comparableorganizations.
1.3 Operating conditions
1.3.1 Normal operating conditions Design to VDE 0670, part 1000, “Common specifications forhigh-voltage switchgear and controlgear standards“ and IEC publication 60694, with the followinglimit values:
• Ambient temperature:
–Maximum 24 hour average +35℃
–Minimum (according to
“minus 5 indoor class”) –5℃
–the average value of the relative humidity, measured over a period of 24 h, does not exceed 95%
–the average value of the water vapour pressure, over a period of 24 h, does not exceed 2,2 kPa
–the average value of the relative humidity, over a period of one month, does not exceed 90%
–the average value of the water vapour pressure, over a period of one month, does not exceed 1,8kPa
• Maximum site altitude:≤ 1000 M above sea level.
1.3.2 Special operating conditions
Special operating conditions are to be agreed on by the manufacturer and user. The manufacturermust be consulted in advance about each special operating condition:
• Site altitude over 1000 m:–Allow for the reduction in the dielectric strength of the air.
• Increased ambient temperature:
–Current carrying capacity is reduced.
–Provide additional ventilation for heat dissipation.
–Avoid the risk of corrosion or other damage in areas:
• with high humidity and/or
• with major rapid temperature fluctuations.
– Implement preventive measures (e.g. electric heaters) to preclude condensation phenomena
6.1 Basic structure of the circuit-breaker on withdrawable breaker assembly
This VD4/S is the newest improvement equipment by Rockwill Electric. It’s now given morereliable products than previous VD4/S original.
Front control panel
See attached picture the VD4/S Inner mechanism is very simple structure.
Where is a charging hole for charge mechanism on stored status.
Where is closing and opening coil(pushbutton) together)
Closing and opening
It’s a very reliable mechanism for New VD4/S, It’s provided with at least 15,000 operations test
with out adjust or replacement parts.
6.2 Structure of the breaker operating mechanism
The operating mechanism is of the stored-energy spring type. The necessary operating energy isstored ready for activation by charging the spring energy storage mechanism.
The stored-energy spring mechanism essentially consists of drum and containing the compressionspring the charging system, the latching and operating mechanism and the linkages which transmitthe force to the breaker poles. In addition, there are supplementary components such as thecharging motor, releases, auxiliary switches and the controls and instruments located on the frontof the mechanism. The operating mechanism is fundamentally suitable for auto-reclosing and, dueto the short charging times, also for multi-shot auto-reclosing.
In the basic version of the circuit-breaker, the spring energy storage mechanism is charged
manually. The operating mechanism can optionally be fitted with a charging motor.
6.3 Energy store (Closing spring charging)
To provide the necessary motive energy, the spring energy storage mechanism, either charged automatically by a charging motor or manually use a charging lever .
As a precondition for an auto-reclosing sequence, the operating mechanism is either (re-)charged after a closing operation automatically by the charging motor, or it requires (re-)charging by hand if the operating mechanism is of the manual type.
6.4 Closing operation
The closing process is started by the mechanical ON push-button(see VD4/S breaker panel ), or by activation of shunt release ON .
6.5 Opening operation
The opening procedure is initiated by mechanical OFF push-button or by activation of one of releases.
6.6 Auto-reclosing operation
An OFF-ON or OFF-ON-OFF auto-reclosing sequence is activated and checked by the protection system. It is necessary for the compression spring to be in the (re-)charged condition, with the
circuit-breaker in the closed position. The (re-)charging process is carried out automatically after closing of the breaker on breakers with motor charging mechanisms, but must be carried out
manually on breakers without charging motors (or when the charging motor has broken down). Opening of the breaker is also possible during the (re-)charging process, but subsequent closing of the breaker is however blocked until the charging process has been completed.
7.1 Condition on delivery
• The factory-assembled switching devices are checked at the works for completeness of theequipment installed and simultaneously subjected to a routine test in accordance with VDE 0670,part 1000 or IEC 62271-100, GB1984-2003, thus verifying their correct structure and function.
The switching devices are mounted individually on a wooden pallet and sealed in film and/orpacked in cardboard for delivery.Packaging for overseas shipment:
• Drying agent bags inserted in the film-sealed packaging.
Loading of the package units must only be carried out with a
• fork-lift truck and/or
• trolley jack.
• Avoid impact during handling.
• Do not subject to other damaging mechanical stresses.
• Liftinggear must not be attached to the breaker poles or parts of the operating mechanism. Usethe lifting lugs T for hoists.
The duties of the consignee on receipt of the switching devices at site include the following:
• Checking the delivery for completeness and freedom from damage (e.g. moisture and itsadverse effects).
• Any short quantities, defects or damage in transit:–Must be precisely documented on the consignment note.
7.5 Intermediate storage
Intermediate storage of the switchgear in the switch position OFF and the stored-energy springmechanisms discharged.
(Indicator DISCHARGED: ).
Conditions for optimum intermediate storage:
1. Devices with basic packaging or unpacked:
• A dry and well ventilated storeroom with climate in accordance with VDE 0670, part 1000 /IEC 62271-100,GB1984-2003
• Room temperature which does not fall below–5 °C.
• Do not remove or damage the packaging.
• Unpackaged devices:
–Are to be loosely covered with protective sheeting.
–Sufficient air circulation must be maintained.
• Check regularly for any condensation.
2. Devices with seaworthy or similar packaging with internal protective sheeting:
• Store the transport units:
–protected from the weather,
–safe from damage.
• Check the packaging for damage.
• If the maximum storage period starting from the date of packaging has been exceeded:
–The protective function of the packaging is no longer guaranteed.
Suitable action must be taken if intermediate storage is to continue.
8. Commissioning / Operation
8.1 Preparatory activities (Prior to application of primary voltage)
• Check the circuit-breaker for any kind of damage or other injurious environmental influence, and restore to the proper condition where necessary.
• Remove any contamination, particularly on insulating parts, which has occurred during transit, storage or installation.
• Lifting lugs for high current circuit-breakers, if still fitted, must be removed.
• Check the primary and secondary connections and the protective conductor terminal.
• Check mechanical and electrical interlocks for effectiveness, without using force.
• Charge the spring energy storage mechanism by hand (see section „Charging the spring energy storage mechanism“).
• For test purposes, switch the mechanism on and off using the mechanical operating elements ON/OFF pushbutton (note in this context any specified design supply voltage and any interlocks installed). (attached with picture)
• Check the charging motor on circuit-breakers with motor-operated mechanisms by applying supply voltage.
• On motor-driven withdrawable parts, check the direction of rotation of the travel motors as described in section „Checking the direction of rotation of the travel motors ...“.
• For any further questions on the functions of the withdrawable circuit-breaker part and its testing, see section „Testing withdrawable parts“.
• Ensure that the Instruction Manual is available to the operators at all times.
This is a new VD4/S design for free maintenance, No need repair or maintenance (operation under instruction manual).
Typical life-expectancies for VD4/S circuit-breakers:
• Vacuum interrupter chambers: Up to 30,000 switching cycles, depending on chamber type (see section “Permissible numbers of switching cycles“)
• Device: Up to 30,000 cycles under normal operating conditions( in 10,000 operations free maintenance)
• Withdrawable assembly: With careful operation and appropriately performed inspection work, up to 1000 movement operations can be achieved. See also IEC 60298
10. Technical document
Each New VD4/S breaker along with below document pls check the document if complete.
10.1 Wiring drawing
10.2 Instruction manual
10.3 Charging level(handle for VD4/S breaker charging)
10.4 Rotate handle(for truck)
10.5 Cable connector pins
10.6 Other as clients request
11. Technical service
ROCKWILL®, China. Provide with best support